Friday, November 19, 2010

Turning Outward


Ok so I realize that my posts have been a little self-centered lately. So I want to amend that. I also think the Universe/God/circumstances has been shouting at me lately and waving a giant sign around that says "LOOK at somebody else!!!" So I'm slow to listen, but I'm listening now.
 Yesterday, I stumbled upon this article on MSN.com. It's very much along the lines of what I've been reading on all kinds of blogs (especially this one) about just DOING what it is you want to be doing...rather than, you know, waiting till you win the lottery (or finish college, or your two year old grows up hehe). So, I decided to do my own experiment and post my status on Facebook as "What would you do if you won the lottery?" My friends delivered. The vast majority of them said they would help others (though my favorite remark was by my friend, Ginger, who said "I wouldn't tell a soul..." It should be said Ginger is very kind and giving...and funny hehe). Some restricted their help to family and friends, one said the priority expense would be tithing, and others wanted to help whomever needed it. I'm proud of my friends and family (even Ginger ;) ).


Then today I stumbled upon this blog. This woman is doing some amazing stuff and inspiring some amazing stuff (look at this for more about it). And she talks about the power of this medium, of the internet and blogging and tweeting. It's capable of so much more than keeping people apprised of what we ate for lunch and what strange thing we just saw.
HAHA! I couldn't resist...you know, being a vegetarian and all!
The last few days, I've heard of a man who started a Thanksgiving meal in his community and another this morning. As I walked into work this morning at the unheard of time of 7:30 AM (because Daylight Savings Time is evil and my son has consistently woken up no later than 5 AM since then...), I thought about these people helping others. And that's what this season is about, right? I want to teach my children this....I need to learn more about this. Not so that we can pull out our halos every November. But so that we celebrate the giving and the helping every year so much more than the gifts and the tinsel and the food.

I want to do something this year. My city has a large mission/shelter that serves a Thanksgiving meal so I feel like that need is covered. I want to help where a need is NOT being met. I am going to try using this technology for something larger than expressing selfish epiphanies or hypothetical queries on the complexities of life. I want to ask simply: How can I help? It can be local, it can be not so local. A solution would be helpful but even if I just get comments on what some needs are it's a good start. Maybe if I can't find you a solution, someone else reading can! And don't feel like the problem and/or solution has to be related to the holiday season. Let's see if we can put this blog to work and look outward.

1 comment: