Thursday, November 11, 2010

Surprises in the Mundane

I had an interesting lunch today.

I took my barely touched and reheated meal from my Tuesday lunch meeting with me to the park. I parked my car and ate while reading my Administrative Law book. This is all normal.

After I finished eating and came to a good stopping point in my reading, I pulled out my iPhone. This is also normal. For some reason, I decided to see if I had any voice memos. I did! My two-year old son had recorded a surprise recording months ago. Few things are cuter than the babblings of an almost two-year old who doesn't know he's being recorded. It was a nice surprise for this stressed, often guilt-ridden mommy.

Then I got out of my car to take a walk around the park. I also do this often. As I walked, I revelled in the cool, brisk early Fall air and the crunch of leaves underfoot (I adore the feel and sound of a leaf crunching under my foot...always have and no idea why!). It was a small but sweet gift.

As I continued my walk, I crossed paths with an older man walking an adorable dog. He was wearing a Vietnam Vet hat. I don't know if it was the dog, the man's kind eyes, or the hat but I wasn't the least bit intimidated by this man. I smiled, removed an ear bud and told him simply, "Happy Veteran's Day. Thank you." He said, "You're welcome" with a hint of surprise. I don't know but I think it did my soul more good than his. I am thankful for the opportunity to thank a stranger for a gift given before my birth.

On the opposite side of the park, I heard the tinkling laughter of small children. There is a church daycare directly opposite of the park. The children playing at this time of day are normally around my son's age and a little bit older. I watched their little heads bobbing over the fence as they ran in circles. For several years, I felt nothing but pain, envy, and loss as I watched children there. I still miss the children I never held but it was a small gift today to feel the joy in their play.

I had time to leisurely stroll today, a gift in itself but it allowed for all this to happen. Such a mundane, normal lunch but with eyes open, I received so much from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment