Sunday, April 5, 2020

Saturday in a Pandemic


Yesterday, we tried to enjoy a Saturday as usual. We actually did a pretty good job of it! We hiked in the nearby state park and got drinks at the local drive through afterward. We lazed around the house otherwise and my soon-to-be-stepson took a 6 foot apart walk with a friend.

On our 6 mile hike, we took pains to step out of the trail to let others hike through. We saw a boy with blue latex gloves and a few people with bandanas on their faces. We packed hand sanitizer with our snacks, water, and sunscreen. We wondered if we should have taken more precautions.

As we nursed our aching muscles, beginning of sunburns, and dehydration (I will pack more water for the next hike), my son's dad called. This was to be his weekend with our son. He called wanting to know when he would see him. My answer was I don't know. I don't think my son should leave our city (his dad lives in another city) at this time. We are all doing our best to contain any potential contamination. My son begged to see his dad, and I felt awful depriving him of that normalcy. We all crave normalcy right now.

After telling my son he couldn't see his dad, I felt guilty that we let my soon-to-be-stepson go on a walk with his new friend even if they had promised to stay 6 feet away and not touch. He is only 15 and I only see my mom through our glass storm door. We called him and asked him to come back. We all miss socializing in all forms. I had a Facebook Messenger happy hour with my girlfriends just last week.

I know that these types of interactions and reminders of the strange times we live in are happening all over the world right now. My household is unique in some ways (as we all are), but not unique in many more ways. I've read so many suggestions to have the kids journal through this experience. They could be another Anne Frank, they say. I am no Anne Frank. I do not claim this will last any longer than the moment in which I write it. But I do know writing about my experiences always helps me process them; maybe it can help you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment