Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'mmmm Coming Out...so we better get this party started!

HA! I hope Pink doesn't mind the lift of lyrics!
I came out this last weekend. Nope, I'm not gay. I'm happily married to a man. But I AM a Democrat. I live in an area where that is just about the same thing...and not in a good way...and Heaven help you if you're both gay and a Democrat!
My friends and family and people who have taken more than 15-30 minutes to learn anything about me already know my political affiliation. It doesn't take much to figure out. I talk about saving the environment, I have feminist leanings, I believe government can help people (and should!), and well, around here, I'm different.
But Saturday, I came out. I went to my first public event that was outwardly Democratic. It wasn't just a "save the environment" event or an Earth Day festival, it was a Democratic Rally. And I didn't just attend, I volunteered!
It was great...I was hot and dehydrated and worn out and sore by the end of the day but I felt like I was contributing to "the cause". I carried chairs, put up banners, made drinks, put out tables and covered them with tablecloths, "(wo)manned" the bouncy house and talked to people who actually think remotely similarly to me on the issues of the day!
I'm not crazy about our highest level candidate this year, a gubernatorial candidate, BUT I'm even less crazy about the Republican incumbent (and perhaps I'll blog about why one of these days). He really does have my vote just because he's not the other guy. Not that I think he'll get elected. The region I live in hasn't had any electoral votes in ANY election for ANY Democrat in....a really long time!!
I'm excited about taking actions for what I believe in. I'm excited about meeting people who think we can change things for the better the same way I do. I'm excited about taking some baby steps toward some long term goals.
They liked me, too, I think. The area headquarters has asked me to take over as the Secretary. I told them I'm interested but I need to attend a meeting or two and see if I can spare the time first! I'm crazy though because I really want to do it...along with work, school, mommyhood, etc.
So I'm out now....and very glad about it! Now, let's get this "party" started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment