Friday, February 26, 2010

Sometimes People Worry Me

Sometimes I listen to podcasts of radio shows at work. OK, pretty much all the time, I listen to podcasts at work. It's usually NPR shows but occasionally I throw in a New York radio show my coworker recommended to me. Today they were discussing the controversial trial of Kahlid Shaikh Mohammed in New York City. The show is based in NYC and the people were speaking against the trial being held there. One of the DJs said Mohammed shouldn't have the same rights as "us" (to a fair trial). "Us" was understood to mean American citizens. Why does he not deserve the same rights as us? Because he was not born on American soil or because he committed a heinous crime? Are we going to start judging if Americans should have a fair trial according to the seriousness of the crime? I thought that the rights Americans are given were-at least theoretically-God-given to ALL people everywhere!
Sometimes I worry about the compassion of my fellow Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment