Monday, March 15, 2010

Silly Insurance Companies

I mentioned previously that I'm the Plan Administrator for my work's health insurance. Part of that job means I receive emails from the health insurance company. Recently, they sent me an email telling me they would be making changes to their prescription coverage soon and offering me the opportunity to attend a webinar regarding this change. I went ahead and signed up since it's free and more information couldn't hurt, right?

There could not be a drier webinar out there! Wow! And more pointedly than that, it seemed to me to have an ulterior motive. The entire presentation was focused on why the changes were made. Not in a helpful, informative way but in a defensive, we-swear-we're-not-in-bed-with-the-drug-companies way. It could be me and my cynicism (when did I develop that!?)and beliefs on the subject, admittedly. However, it seems like 5 slides detailing why this drug is paid over that drug is excessive. I honestly couldn't tell you much more about the webinar because at a certain point I decided I had better things to do with my time.

I definitely think this webinar was a marketing ploy by the large health insurance company to try make clients (whether that's employers or the insured or both) believe they are really looking out for their best interests and not the monsters the media and government are making them out to be lately. I don't buy it. I fully recognize there are more problems with our system than just the big, greedy health insurance companies. But it sure is a good place to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment